We are offering a series of free workshops that focus on cooking, gardening and preserving food. As we enter the winter months, local and affordable food becomes more scarce. Luckily, within our community there are a number of talented people who are sharing their knowledge and skills regarding food with us! If you’re interested in growing more food yourself on your balcony, or looking for some inspiration when it comes to new recipes or preserving food we’ve got you covered!
All workshops will be held on Sundays between 3 – 6 pm at the East York Community Centre. During this time, the Community Centre also offers free gym drop-in so if you’ve got kids, bring them and let them run around while you partake in a workshop!
To register email AllInCommunityInitiative@gmail.com. Please indicate which workshop(s) you’d like to register for as space is limited to 12 people/workshop.
- Nov 18th – Tomatoes done three different ways
- We’ll make salsa verde from some tomatillos from a nearby garden, can diced tomatoes and can some delicious homemade spaghetti sauce.
- Dec 2nd – Community Kitchen – The Holiday edition
- We’ll make delicious food from what’s on sale at Food Basics that week and what’s available at the Food Bank. What’s better than affordable, delicious and nutritious food!
- Dec 16th – Homemade Hand Salve
- We’ll make some hand salve using calendula flowers and beeswax. If you missed this workshop in the summer you’ll want to come this time! The hand salve makes a perfect holiday gift for friends and family!
- January 6th – Community Kitchen – The 2019 Resolution edition
- Start the year off right by making food that fits with your 2019 dietary goals – my guess is they involve eating healthier and trying a few new recipes. This workshop promises to help you get 2019 off on the right foot!
- January 20th – Community Kitchen – The ‘I don’t have time to get groceries’ edition
- Master of cooking with what’s in her pantry, Alicia will share some recipes that can be made with many things you may have already in your fridge and pantry.
- January 27th – Community Kitchen – The Stone Soup edition
- Have you heard of the fable of the stone soup? We ran a stone soup kitchen in 2018 and it was a hit. Check out this blog post to get an idea of what a stone soup is and how it can bring together a community.
- February 3rd – Balcony Gardening 101
- Get help growing your own vegetables and herbs (or grow more) with this workshop where you’ll walk away with a tote bag garden system and a few ideas to construct a garden box that is made from common household items.